Health and safety is a priority in our schools and the TDSB is taking action to slow the spread of COVID-19 and keep schools safe for staff and students. See an over view of our health and safety measures.
Managing COVID-19 in Schools
- Follow the Government’s process for school boards in the event of a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 in a school.
- As appropriate, dismiss positive case’s cohort for self-isolation.
- Work with Toronto Public Health to support contact tracing.
- Work with Toronto Public Health and COVID-19 testing partners to improve access to testing, including asymptomatic testing.
Screening for COVID-19 Daily
- Require all students and staff to conduct a daily self-assessment and stay home if they have symptoms or other COVID-19 exposure risk factors.
- Following guidance from Toronto Public Health in the event of symptoms or other COVID-19 risk factors.
- Verify daily self-assessment before entering school building either through the TDSB Health Pass or TDSB Health App
Wearing Personal Protective Equipment
- Staff are required to wear a medical mask, as well as face shields and other PPE as appropriate.
- All students are required to wear a mask at school.
- Students can take their mask off to eat their lunch, and once they are done put their masks on.
- Students can take mask breaks outside if they are physically distant from others. If this is not possible, mask breaks can be taken outside while students are with members of their cohort for short periods of time.
Entering, Exiting and Moving Through the School
- Encourage and maintain physical distancing measures as much as possible.
- Mark floors with stickers to designate traffic flow and distancing.
- Students stay with their classroom cohort and large gatherings will be avoided, including in common areas.
- Organize classrooms to maximize space and use any surplus space for instructional purposes.
- On outdoor school property, parents/guardians must wear masks, including for pick up and drop off.
Practicing Proper Hygiene
- Post visible signage about hand washing and proper respiratory etiquette.
- Build in hand washing time into daily routines, including after washroom use, recess and lunch breaks.
- Provide alcohol-based sanitizers throughout the school and at designated entry and exit points.
- Minimize use of shared items and clean between uses, where possible.
- Increase ventilation in schools and classrooms with mechanical systems by adjusting the air exchanges and running them two hours before class and two hours after class.
- Increase natural ventilation by opening windows for short periods of time.
- Distribute institutional grade HEPA filters to all occupied classrooms, portables and Wellness Rooms, starting with schools in areas of the city where there have been higher incidents of COVID-19.
Enhancing Cleaning and Other Measures
- Caretaking staff will perform routine cleaning of general facilities through the day and will conduct enhanced cleaning of high touch surfaces such as light switches, handrails, door handles, etc. twice daily.
- Identify capacity limits in washrooms and on elevators.
- Use water fountains only to refill water bottles.
Read more from Toronto Public Health's Guidance for Re-opening Schools.