Many School Councils participate or organize community events (such as fun fairs, socials and reunions) that are not under the control of the school board. In these situations, the Board’s liability policy may not provide protection to the School Council, its members, or volunteers acting on behalf of the School Council. As such, it is important to ensure that your School Council has appropriate coverage in place to protect the Council, its members, and its volunteers accordingly.
School Council Insurance coverage expired November 1, 2020. For the 2020-2021 renewal:
- All rates have been increased by $5
- The deductible has increased from $500 to $1,000
- Abuse coverage is no longer available
- Virus, Bacteria, Disease & Contagion Exclusion (including COVID19) added
The insurance market is undergoing significant change and is now in a state that is commonly referred to as a “hard market”, meaning less insurance market capacity, tightening of coverages and increased premiums. The current renewal is reflective of this.
Premium (plus 8% Ontario sales tax):
- School Council Insurance Coverage – (Two Options) $165 Per Council ($2,000,000 limit) or $265 Per Council ($5,000,000 limit)
- Host Liquor Liability (Optional) Coverage – (Two Options) $65 Per Council ($2,000,000 limit) or $95 Per Council ($5,000,000 limit)
- Additional Crime (Optional) Coverage – (Two Options) $50,000 Limit - $30 Per Council or $100,000 Limit - $55 Per Council
To purchase coverage, please review the insurance information, and select your optional coverage by completing the fillable School Council Insurance Request Form and return back to firstname.lastname@example.org
If purchased, the school council supplement in GL 41500, which is part of the school budget calculation, will be used to pay the premium.
Please visit the following site: Ontario Ministry of Education - School Councils: A Guide for Members as well as review the attached Ministry of Education School Councils A Guide for Members
Also, refer to the regulation that outlines the various duties and responsibilities of a council: O. Reg. 612/00: SCHOOL COUNCILS AND PARENT INVOLVEMENT COMMITTEES https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/000612
For further questions or concerns, contact: PCEO@tdsb.on.ca
If you have further questions regarding insurance coverage options, risk management or claims related questions, please contact our AON representatives: