2017 Model Schools for Inner Cities Summer School Student Employment
The Focus On Youth Toronto program will hire approximately 90 secondary students for employment with the Model Schools for Inner Cities (MSIC) Summer School Program 2017. Students will be employed as summer school student monitors. Employment for the program will consist of bussing and classroom duties. Bus duties include ensuring student safety while entering and exciting the bus, taking attendance, maintaining orderly behavior at all times and ensuring students are always seated. Classroom duties include supporting student engagement in learning, working with individual and/or groups of students and sharing your strengths (musical skills, sports, games, etc.) to support the program.
The MSIC summer school program runs from July 4 to July 28, 2017, with an additional two days for training in June. TDSB students can apply for summer employment through the on-line application form at the bottom of this page from March 20 to April 7.
Students hired for the MSIC Summer School Program as student monitors will be subject to the documentation process expected of temporary employees of the TDSB:
- Presentation of identification
- Confirmation of a bank account for purposes of direct payroll deposit
- A police reference check clearance is also required for students 18 years of age and older.
- Must be 16 years of age or older by July 1, 2017.
- Must be currently registered in a TDSB school or program.
- Must be at the first bus stop location prior to the first pick-up time.
- Must maintain orderly behaviour at all times on the bus.
- Must assist in classrooms as assigned by the Site Lead.
- Must model appropriate behaviour at all times.
- Must enjoy working with children and have interests/talents in one of the following areas:
Literacy and Numeracy
Sports and Recreation
Rate of Pay for MSIC Summer School Program Student
Students hired will be paid $11.40 per hour plus statutory and vacation pay, subject to applicable deductions. Students will work for 6 hours each day from 8:00am to 2:00pm.
Candidates selected for an interview will receive an email by April 14 stating the date, location, and time of their interview. Candidates will need to arrive 15 minutes prior to their scheduled interview and bring with them an updated resume and one recent reference letter.
This letter could come from one of the following examples:
- A TDSB staff person (teacher, guidance, principal)
- A supervisor / mentor
- A community leader
Students will begin with pre-employment orientation on topics such as workplace health and safety, emergency first aid, and recognizing and reporting on child abuse.
Key Dates 2016
||Applications open for MSIC summer student employment
||Applications close for MSIC summer student employment
||Students selected for an interview contacted via email
|Week of May 1
||Successful candidates contacted via email.
||Pre-employment Student Training (2 days)
||First day of employment
||Last day of employment