Focus on Youth Toronto (FOYT) will hire secondary students registered in Toronto District School Board schools for summer employment. Students will be employed as summer day camp counsellors in support of community summer programs. The FOYT summer employment program runs from July 4 to August 11, 2017, with an additional three days for training in June. TDSB students can apply for FOYT employment through the online application form at the bottom of this page from February 27 - March 27.
Students hired for FOYT will be subject to the documentation process expected of temporary employees of the TDSB:
- Presentation of identification
- Confirmation of a bank account for purposes of direct payroll deposit
- A police reference check clearance is also required for students 18 years of age and older.
- Must be 16 years of age or older by July 1, 2017.
- Must be currently registered in a TDSB school or program.
- Must enjoy working with children and have interests/talents in one of the following areas:
- Leadership Development
- Literacy and Numeracy
- Sports and Recreation
- A resume and a reference letter is required
Rate of Pay for FOYT Student Counselors
Students hired for the FOYT program will be paid $11.40 per hour plus statutory and vacation pay, subject to applicable deductions.
Between April 18 to 21, candidates selected for an interview will receive an email stating the date, location, and time of their interview. Candidates will need to arrive 15 minutes prior to their scheduled interview and bring with them an updated resume and one recent reference letter.
This letter could come from one of the following examples:
- A TDSB staff person (teacher, guidance, principal)
- A supervisor / mentor
- A community leader
Key Dates 2017
For all student employees, the FOYT program will begin with pre-employment orientation on topics such as workplace health and safety, emergency first aid, and recognizing and reporting child abuse.
||Applications open for FOYT summer student employment
||Applications close for FOYT summer student employment
|April 18 to 21
||Students who have an interview contacted via email
|May 3 to 5
||Successful candidates contacted via email.
||Pre-employment Student Training (3 days)
||First day of FOYT employment
||Last day of FOYT employment