At this evening’s meeting of the Toronto District School Board, Trustees approved a balanced budget plan for the 2017-18 school year. As a result of enrolment stability over the past three years, the TDSB is currently in a financially stable operating position and cuts were not required to balance the budget.
The balanced budget reflects the school-based staffing decisions for 2017-18 that were approved by the Board in March. However, with the release of the Grants for Student Needs last week, the Board has learned that there will be additional funding provided for staffing which will enhance next year’s allocation in areas such as Special Education.
All school and department budgets will remain status quo for next year. However, there may be some internal realignment in order to address department priorities.
In 2016, the Board approved an extensive budget review and priority setting exercise through the work of the Enhancing Equity Task Force. The recommendations from this work, expected in fall 2017, will reshape the Board’s budget in future years, starting with the 2018-19 budget. As part of the 2018-19 budget process, the Board will revisit past resource allocation decisions and consider new funding directions.
· The TDSB’s operating budget is approximately $3.2 billion and is divided into the following categories: instruction (79.2%), school operations (15.5%), administration (2.6%), transportation (1.9%) and other operating costs (0.8%).
· School-based staffing levels, approved by the Board in March, account for approximately 65% of the Board’s operating budget.
· Over the past three years, elementary enrolment has increased slightly, while the rate of decrease in secondary enrolment has lessened.
· The budget for 2017-18 includes a savings target of $6M. This is typically achieved through budget controls.
“After nearly 20 years of budget constraints, the Board is pleased to report that the TDSB is now on stable financial footing. We also continue to move in the right direction on school renewal, thanks to additional funding from the province that we hope remains consistent in the years ahead.”
- Robin Pilkey, Chair, TDSB
“We are maintaining the budget at current levels ahead of the important work of the Enhancing Equity Task Force. In the coming months, the Task Force will review the funding priorities of the Board and make recommendations to ensure that resources are allocated equitably to better support the achievement and well-being of all students.”
- John Malloy, Director, TDSB